Laser hair reduction is a safe and effective way to permanently reduce unwanted hair.
The laser is attracted to the dark pigment in the hair. The darker the thicker the hair, the better the result! The hair follicles pigment activates the laser, which cuts off the nutrient supply that allows the hair follicles to grow. The end result of this process is the inability for that hair follicle to produce a new hair!
Laser hair removal has become significantly more comfortable with new technologies. On most areas our laser uses suction to “confuse” your pain sensors, a minimal amount of energy is then applied to the skin which produces a warming sensation. When the pulses of energy are delivered, there is a mild stinging sensation & no local anesthesia or pain medicine is typically required except for the bikini line or upper lip area. As a courtesy to our patients, we provide complimentary cream anesthetic for patients to apply when treating those areas.
Perfection’s laser hair removal is safe and effective on all skin types and the broadest range of hair colors, diameters, and depths. For safety reasons, individuals taking Isotrentinoin (ACCUTANE) as well as pregnant or breastfeeding women are not candidates for laser hair removal. Laser hair removal is most effective on thicker darker hairs. This treatment may not be effective on red, blonde, white or gray hair.
For permanent hair reduction most areas require at least 5 treatments but the number of treatments required for optimal long-term benefits depends on multiple factors – hair thickness, the area treated and your hair’s growth cycle. Coarse hair, like that usually found in the underarm or bikini areas, responds best while finer hair, like that found on the legs, lips & arms, may require more treatments.
Not all hairs are actively growing at any one time and actually go through three distinct phases: growth, regression, and resting. Laser hair reduction treatments work by disabling the hair that is principally in the active growth phase at the time of treatment. Since hairs will enter this active growth phase at different times, treatments are repeated every 4 to 8 weeks for permanent hair removal in order to eventually disable the hair follicles present during treatment as they enter the growth phase.
Maintenance treatments are recommended on an individual basis. Generally clients receive one maintenance treatment every 6-18 months, depending on the area being treated.
- CLOSELY SHAVE ALL AREAS TO BE TREATED THE MORNING OF YOUR APPOINTMENT. The hair in the area being treated cannot be above the skins surface.
- Do not wax or tweeze the areas you wish to have treated for at least 4 weeks prior to your appointment. If there is not a significant amount of hair in the follicle, it may be recommended that you postpone your treatment.
- AVOID sun exposure, tanning beds and the use of self-tanning creams for at least 4 weeks prior to your appointment. This will reduce the effectiveness of your treatment.
- On the day of your appointment please do not apply lotion or deodorant to the areas being treated.
Things to consider AFTER your laser hair removal treatment:
- Some redness and swelling in the area may be present and may feel similar to sunburn. In nearly all cases this disappears within one to two hours after your treatment.
- The treated hair will appear to be growing for up to two weeks after a treatment. THIS IS NOT -NEW HAIR GROWTH, but simply the old hair pushing itself out of the follicle. Due to different hair cycles, all hairs may not detach immediately, this does not indicate ineffective treatment please continue shaving the area as the hair reaches the surface of the skin.