Botox Cosmetic® is a purified protein called onabotulinum toxin A. By using a tiny micro-needle, a very small amount of Botox Cosmetic® is strategically placed into a targeted facial expression muscle, thereby relaxing the muscle. This causes the overlying skin to become smoother, with fewer lines and wrinkles, and allows the untreated muscles to contract in a normal fashion, thus allowing normal facial expression to be unaffected. The effects are seen within 5 to 7 days and last between 3-4 months and with continued treatments less frequent injections may be possible.
We aim to achieve a natural, rested appearance with Botox Cosmetic ® treatments, not a ”frozen” appearance to the face.
Therefore it is our philosophy to inject the least amount of Botox Cosmetic ® as is necessary to achieve this result. Occasionally, this may require a second “touch-up” treatment a week or so after the first injection.
Injection sites commonly include:
- Between and above the eyebrows to soften or prevent frown lines
- In strategic locations of the forehead to improve horizontal wrinkles
- At the outer region of the eye to soften or prevent crow’s feet and squint lines
- At the bridge of the nose to improve bunny lines
- Below the outer corners of the mouth to release the tension that pulls the outer corners of the mouth downward
- Around the mouth to soften or prevent lip lines
- In the neck to soften vertical banding
- In the underarms to prevent excessive sweating
Some of our patients express concern about the safety of Botox Cosmetic ®. Botox® has been used for many years to treat medical conditions such as strabismus and muscle spasticity safely and effectively. Botox Cosmetic® has been used safely on over 11 million individuals. However, it is a medical procedure. It is the philosophy of Dr. Kay and his staff that Botox Cosmetic ® treatments are performed in our controlled office setting by master injectors who are Registered Nurses.