Fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing can erase years from your face and dramatically improve the appearance of wrinkles and pigment. Treatments can be tailored to individual needs and skin types. Even the neck and chest can be treated along with the face, enhancing the overall result of skin rejuvenation. In the past, traditional CO2 laser treatments removed the entire surface of the skin, which resulted in lengthy healing time and had a higher potential for undesired skin lightening or scarring. Fractionated CO2 lasers use small columns of energy to ablate targeted areas of the skin. This creates tiny, organized “injuries” which are surrounded by untouched, healthy skin. This arrangement helps with healing, as well as the production of new collagen and elastin, and the chance of skin lightening or scarring is significantly diminished. Recovery time is 5 to 7 days.
When to Consider Laser Resurfacing
- If your skin is wrinkled or sun damaged.
- If you have ‘smokers lines’ around your mouth (regardless if you were actually a smoker or not).
- If you have unwanted lines and could use some tightening of the skin around your eyes.
- If you have uneven skin tone and texture.
- If you have scarring.
Dr. Kay’s Approach
Dr. Kay insists you follow a specific skin care regimen in the weeks leading up to your laser treatment. This boosts your skin’s health, and ensures effective healing. (These products are supplied to you, and are not an additional cost.) Speaking candidly, immediately after the laser treatment, your skin will be raw and oozing. Understandably, you will be required to follow special cleansing instructions, supplemented with the use of medical-grade skin care products for enhanced healing. (Again, these are supplied by Dr. Kay at no additional cost.) Fortunately, there is very little discomfort during the healing phase. Crusts will form during the first week, followed by a natural exfoliation, revealing pink, healing skin. Typically, within 5 to 7 days, less occlusive skin care products can be used and concealer makeup can be applied. Once you have fully healed you will notice significant improvement in fine lines, wrinkles, skin laxity and discoloration.
- Quicker, more complete healing than traditional, full-field laser resurfacing.
- Little to no discomfort.
- Manageable down-time.
- The neck and chest can be treated as well as the face, so blending of the skin is enhanced.
- Results are approximately 65% of full-field laser resurfacing.