The shape and proportion of the ears play a major role in the overall balance of a person’s appearance. If you’re dissatisfied with the look of your ears, you can consult Dr. Kay at Perfection Plastic Surgery and Skin Care in Tucson. Dr. Kay may recommend an otoplasty, which is a cosmetic ear surgery that can correct deformities, and align the proportion and shape of the ears with the overall appearance.
Why Otoplasties Are Performed
In many cases, a displeasing shape or size of the ears is present at birth. This may be perfectly natural, or it may have been caused by a birth injury or trauma. It’s often possible to perform an otoplasty on a child who suffers from ear deformities. In other cases, adults seek an otoplasty because of acquired physical trauma to the ears or because they never had corrective surgery as children. An otoplasty might be considered if:
- The ears protrude too far away from the head.
- The ears have an overly large proportion compared to the head.
- An adult patient is dissatisfied with the results of a prior otoplasty.
Good Candidates for Ear Surgery
Dr. Kay will evaluate each patient individually to ensure it’s safe for them to undergo the procedure. Patient health and safety are our top priorities here at Perfection Plastic Surgery. In general, children may be good candidates for ear surgery if they are:
- At least five years old, or have stable ear cartilage
- In good overall health, lacking chronic ear infections or serious diseases
- Able to communicate well, without objections to the surgery
- Able to follow directions well and generally cooperative
- Healthy (lacking chronic diseases or medical conditions that may inhibit healing)
- Positive outlook, with realistic expectations
The Results of an Otoplasty
It’s crucial to follow Dr. Kay’s discharge instructions for an optimal recovery. When you return home, your ears will be bandaged. They may become itchy, but it’s important not to scratch at the ears or remove the bandages. Doing so may adversely affect the results of the surgery. After a few days, the doctor will remove the bandages. You’ll be able to see the results immediately, although your ears will be swollen and red for a while longer.
To determine whether you or your child might be a good candidate for an otoplasty, you can schedule a confidential consultation with Dr. Kay at Perfection Plastic Surgery and Skin Care. Call our friendly office staff in Tucson at (520) 314-9405.