With so many non-surgical aesthetic options available today, many patients who visit plastic surgery practices opt not to go under the knife. Instead, they choose therapies that can improve their appearance without a single incision. IPL, or intense pulsed light, is one non-surgical option that patients love here at Perfection Plastic Surgery and Skin Care. Also known as a photofacial, IPL uses visible pulses of light to correct a wide range of skin imperfections, such as acne, photoaging, broken blood vessels, and fine lines and wrinkles.
Light-Based Skin RegenerationIPL uses different frequencies of visible light to target components in the skin responsible for visible damage. Specifically, IPL targets melanin and hemoglobin, damaging these cells while leaving surrounding skin cells unharmed. As a result, dark spots, broken blood vessels, and blotchy skin will disappear. In addition, strategically damaged cells help to rev up the skin’s regenerative healing process. Therefore, you will see a continued improvement in the appearance and texture of your skin following your treatment.
Conditions Treated with IPLPhotorejuvenation, or IPL, is most effective for patients with lighter toned skin. However, it can yield results for a wider range of patients for certain skin concerns. For example, acne and acne scar treatment with intense pulsed light may be effective for all skin types. Other conditions that are well treated with IPL include:
- Sun Damage – Dark spots, premature wrinkles, and freckles can all be caused by prolonged sun exposure, which is a big risk here in Tucson. Because IPL can easily target melanin, the cells responsible for skin pigment, it can help to erase dark spots and damage while promoting collagen production to help improve the smoothness and elasticity of the skin.
- Rosacea – Patients with moderate to severe rosacea may finally find the relief they need from redness and discomfort with IPL. This treatment can be a gentler alternative to laser therapies, especially for patients under age 40.
- Broken Blood Vessels – If you have facial spider veins or broken blood vessels in the cheeks—two more common types of sun damage—IPL can target these damaged blood vessels and help you achieve clearer skin. Usually patients will need about 1-3 treatments for damaged blood vessels. In addition, blood vessels treated with IPL will not come back. However, new ones can show up later if you continue to skip proper sun protection outdoors.
- Unwanted Hair – Just like laser skin treatments, IPL can be used to target unwanted hair for permanent hair removal. However, it is best suited for individuals with darker hair and lighter skin.
- Scars – IPL can target scar tissue to remove unwanted scars, including acne scars left behind from your teenage years.